Sunday, April 5, 2009

the before

So the immediate question is..."what does the Holy Bible say about what makes a man (or woman) a disciple?"

To get started here's a quick rundown of what is the heart of a disciple...and how I stack up. This was quite the kick in the rear!
  1. A disciple must have assurance of salvation. Ok so I definitely have number one checked! My Father proves to me each day that I have been rescued. I have died to myself and have been born again to my new life in Jesus Christ.

  2. A disciple walks in the fullness and power of the Holy Spirit. It's the word "fullness" that I cannot confess to.

  3. A disciple demonstrates love for God, his neighbor, his fellow disciples, and his enemies. I think that to some they definitely feel the outpour of love that my Father has placed upon my heart but to others I cloud it with sarcasm and casualness.

  4. A disciple is one who knows how to read, study, memorize, and meditate upon the Word of God, to hide its truths in his heart. Oh man, this one is a real kidney punch! This is one that needs the prayers of those around me. Memorizing scripture has never been a discipline of mine. I usually read for overall content but having the words of my Father right on the tip of my tongue at all times sounds joyful!

  5. A true disciple of Jesus is a man of prayer. Better than I used to be, but still miles and miles away from where I should be.

  6. The disciple is one who is obedient, who studies the Word of God, and obeys the commands of God in a lifestyle that honors the Lord Jesus Christ. I wish I could check yes to all of the above but I cannot. That's sort of the point behind this journey!

  7. A disciple is one who trusts God and lives a life of faith. At first glance, I would say yes, but then why do I do so little. Why do I talk myself out of daily witnessing to others if I truly trust Him? Why do I side more with my image and reputation than with the tugging of the Holy Spirit? So I guess the answer is no.

  8. A disciple understands God's grace. Is this really only the second time I've been able to check something off my list? Yes, yes, yes. Everyday. Every hour. That's why I'm fed up with it all. He does so much for me and I deserve nothing yet I do nothing for Him and He deserves everything!

  9. A disciple is one who witnesses for Christ as a way of life. Not as a way of life though this is my desire for sure. I'm just a coward many times.

  10. A true disciple of the Lord Jesus worships God in the fellowship of his church. Sundays mostly....like every other.

So that's where I stand at the beginning of my journey. Where to start?


No comments:

Post a Comment