Saturday, February 20, 2010

an actual realization of reality

I think of this blog like an old friend - we can just pick up where we left off and every thing is swell. I missed you, you missed me, it's all good.

Let's get going.

So I meet with a few of my Christ-loving brothers every week for some truthful discussion of what it looks like to love the Lord in your head, in your heart, with your job, with your family and friends, with strangers, and with your time.

This past week was especially powerful. I pose this thought on this blog because I believe it to be a pivotal thought that should change the way I do everything. It will serve to either drive me into my Father's arms who I dearly love or it will expose the fraud that the world has all the right to expect of Christians who keep the truth to themselves. Here goes...

What if I lived my life as if the Holy Spirit (because He is) were right next to me?

Let me go deeper. What if I actually visualized Him next to me in all situations? He is there. Actually there, right? We agree upon that, right? (If you don't please call me - 817 781-3576 and let's have lunch sometime - seriously call me) Ok, so if we agree, then why do I treat Him as though He doesn't. Try it right now with me. (because He's right there). Try it. Visualize Him sitting right next to you.

Now hold on to that visualization that actually exists for the entire day. Keep visualizing Him there. Seeing what you see. Hearing what you hear. Knowing what you know.

Ok. So now know that He craves to speak to you because it's awkward to sit next to someone and not speak to them. I've been on flights with folks who don't want to merely converse and it gets very uncomfortable after merely a few hours. Just imagine what it is like to go the whole day and nothing. The silent treatment. It's quite rude actually, isn't it?

Ok. Now my thought goes to the fact that since He is right here with me constantly then what does He want? Let's flesh this out a bit. He is my everything. I am filled with joy because I know Him and even more so because He has made the sacrifice to know me. So let me think. I spend the majority of my time with my wife Larissa. She is my best friend. When possible she goes everywhere with me. She makes me look really good. She's nicer than me. She's smarter than me. She's, well, let's just end it with she's awesome! We actually have a running gag that is played upon us as a couple. When we go to restaurants, the waiters often assume that I am not with her or that I'm "just a friend". They'll even offer to split the check two ways. Yeah, it's happened. Their clear shock that I have a wife as lovely as she is truly bewilders them. I think its awesome and I love to say "This is my wife. She married me."

I want people to meet her because she is awesome. She literally gives me credibility that I'm not a goof and that I might actual have some substance to my character (because clearly I didn't nab her with my stunning good looks or my bank account). And besides that, she's standing right there next to me when I meet these people. It would be rude and insane not to introduce her because she's standing right next to me. She makes me interesting.

Ok. So let's apply that same thought to the Holy Spirit who is right next to me right now. He makes me interesting. He rescued me. He brought me out of death and into life eternal. Think about that for a second. Have you ever been walking down the hall at your office and someone you know stops and asks you "How are you?". If you're anything like me, you turn and casually proclaim "Pretty good."

Think of it this way and imagine this scene if you will. Your fourth floor apartment is on fire. A massive fire. There's no way out except out the window and you can't fly. You're going to die. Then all of a sudden a firefighter comes barreling in through the window. He gets 3rd degree burns on his face and is badly disfigured but he rescues you nonetheless counting his own well-being as secondary.

Now the scene changes and you're having your birthday party of which you've invited the firefighter who saved you. You've become close since he rescued you. So you grab a soda from the fridge and your mingling. You and your firefighter friend are standing there side by side when your neighbor from across the street comes up and asks "Hey how ya doing?" and you answer "Ah, pretty good."

Is that an appropriate response? Shouldn't the response be "Man, I'm great because of this fella right here! Ya see my apartment was on fire and he came and bolted through the window and he was on fire and it was really scary but he was calm and steady as a rock, he grabbed me up and rescued me without a scratch. I shouldn't even be having this birthday right now. I should be dead but because of this guy, man, I'm without a scar because of this man right here! He's my hero! Have I introduced you guys yet?" Shouldn't that be the response. Isn't that the natural response?

The Holy Spirit is right next to me. I am overjoyed that He rescued me. I shouldn't be here right now but because of Him, man, I'm without a scar because of Him! He's my hero!!! Have I introduced you yet?

My prayer is that I can constantly be made to realize the reality of the Holy Spirit dwelling with me. He is right next to me. How will this realization change how I do things? How I handle stress? How I handle the quiet? The conversations I have? This is going to change everything. Praise HIM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment